Sunday, April 29, 2012

Pillion's Perspective...linking my writing for the Iron Butt Magazine, my book, Two-Up: Navigating a Relationship 1,000 Miles at a Time, and my life as a therapist into one narrative. Allowing it to evolve as the story unfolds, removing restrictions that may limit it to only motorcycling or only therapy but instead topics that interest me. The freedom of the road, the freedom of writing, the freedom to let my mind wander.

Terry and I were walking the other day and discussing the next phase of our life together. He has started a new career path, and after 30+ years of being a therapist, I am open to new possibilities myself. I love my work and I continue to be moved by the people who allow me to touch their lives in such a personal manner. Logically, teaching would be a next step, yet creating workshops and following curricula to fulfill someone's idea of continuing education sounds horrible. What I keep coming back to is writing, weaving the stories I have in my head from all the experiences I have had personally and the ones I have been witness to in the confines of my therapy office into useful narratives, narratives that have helped shape my own life.

The stories that interest me are of resilience, finding strength in going to the deepest levels of oneself, being willing to take a look in the mirror and confront what one sees in the reflection. Participating in life rather than spectating. Taking risks and feeling alive. Taking the thoughts that bounce around inside my head and committing them to paper where they can be judged by others and perhaps found wanting. Yet in that risk is excitement, a feeling of living life fully.

And so I will write.

1 comment:

  1. I can identify with you when you speak of the freedom of the road and how it entices your mind to wander. I love being pillion and sharing my husband's passion for motorcycling and touring. It has become our therapy :-)

    ReplyDelete